Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

3 weeks ago I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7 engine. 3…

Customer Question
3 weeks ago I bought...
3 weeks ago I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7 engine. 3 days ago I noticed a "whining" noise when I'm driving at any speed. To me it sounds like a turbo winding up (if that makes any sense). Yesterday the gears stopped working. It's like I'm in neutral. Husband thinks it's Transmission Pump? Apparently that whining noise is a dead giveaway. Should I go ahead and buy and put in a pump today or is there something else I should check for first?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, it sounds like the front pump is starving for fluid. the most common issue is the filter is clogged.

I would start by changing the filter and the fluid. then see what happens before re building the trans.

Roy

are you there