roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  My knowledge of Jeeps from the early 60's till present. Love to help people with there issues.
3506196

3 weeks ago I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7 engine. 3

Customer Question

3 weeks ago I bought a 2006 Jeep Commander 3.7 engine. 3 days ago I noticed a "whining" noise when I'm driving at any speed. To me it sounds like a turbo winding up (if that makes any sense). Yesterday the gears stopped working. It's like I'm in neutral. Husband thinks it's Transmission Pump? Apparently that whining noise is a dead giveaway. Should I go ahead and buy and put in a pump today or is there something else I should check for first?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 month ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, it sounds like the front pump is starving for fluid. the most common issue is the filter is clogged.

I would start by changing the filter and the fluid. then see what happens before re building the trans.

Roy

are you there