Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

How do you locate the the spark plugs on the 2009 Jeep

Commander on the drivers side...
How do you locate the the spark plugs on the 2009 Jeep Commander on the drivers side. When I tried to get the screw out it did not come all the way out it was like it was not suppose to come out. to get the spark plug. How do I get to get to the spark plug. I need the step by step instructions. Are there 6 spark plugs that are suppose to be changed?
I tried to pull up the screen on the driver side and it appears like it not designed to come straight up to get to the spark plug.
20 August 2017 10:52
I tried to pull up the screwon the driver side and it appears like it not designed to come straight up to get to the spark plug.
8/21/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

What liter engine?

V6 3.7
2009 Jeep Commander sport v6 3.7
How do I get to the spark plugs on the driver side. I dont see them. I need to know where they are located so I can change them and how to get the cover off them

Here are the replacement steps. Can you tell me where you are stuck? https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n64l7yjkylerp1/coilandplug.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Step 2 and Step 3. For step 3 can't get the screw out won't lift up. How are you suppose to get it out?
Step 3. the screw was loosed and it does not lift up to come out. It was completely lose. It like it is stuck and wont come out.

Are all 3 coils on this side having this issue?

on the driver side
I changed the three on the passenger side easily

So all the coils are unplugged, all the screws are fully loosened, but none of those 3 coils will pull up and out?

how do I unplug the coils? Do i remove the screen that is holding it together?
The screw are loosed but you can pull them out. It like they are blocked from coming straight out
Are the spark plugs under the coils?

Yes the spark plugs are under the coils, just like on the other side of the engine that you have already addressed.

Why can't you take out the screws after they are loosed. They appear to be stuck. What is the solution. What should happen after they are loosed?
In fig 1 identifying the coil. step 3 How do you get that screw out? You loosed it then what do you do?

I believe you are trying to remove the stud. You remove the nut which I assumed you were calling the screw. You remove the nut and pull straight up on the coil to remove it.

THe reason I can pull up is because the nut is not loose?
Where is this is figure One
I should not be trying to remove the stud is that correct?
there is a nut on the screw in figure 1 #3? that has to be loosed first then pull in the screw straight up. Is this correct?
Then I can just change all three spark plugs?
How do I get rid of of the codes that is flashing the check engine light?

There was no prior mention of codes or the check engine light. You will need to go into more detail on that for me to accurately answer that question.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician