Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee that has an error "transmission…

Hello, I have a 2007 Jeep...
I have a 2007 Jeep Cherokee that has an error "transmission over temp" when removing the key after attempting to start.
8/19/2017
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, this is a Grand cherokee 2 or*****or SRT- Model? Which engine is in this model jeep? It only shows the warning when the vehicle is not running? No transmission issues while driving and the fluid level is full and not burnt?

I have not yet checked the transmission fluid. It is a*****and 3.7L v6Vehicle does not start at all still has power to accessories.I have not had any transmission problems with this vehicle at all.

Ok, so does the dash light up all the warning lights like normal when you turn the key to on but it just wont crank over? No antitheft system or aftermarket alarm installed? Did the truck die while driving and now not restart or you just went out to it and it wont start and only shows the transmission temperature warning message?

the dash lights up. Nothing with the anti theft should have activated and I went out too it and wouldn't start and yes that's the only warning message I have

Ok its possible you may just have a starter issue. Do you have access to a multimeter or test light to test the battery and starter? Is the battery in good shape/fairly new and no signs of corrosion or a poor connection?

When you turn the key to crank does the radio lights dim out?

No no dimming and battery was tested at autozone and was still good with 93%charge

Ok do you have battery power to the large starter wire from the battery all the time and do you have battery power to the smaller starter wire when cranking the engine? If you jump across those two wires at the starter will the starter spin the engine over? IS this an intermittent problem?

I'm not sure how would I check that?

With a multimeter. Verify you have battery voltage to the wiring to the starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPOcO6f798

This video shows testing the starter

Yeah I don't have one of those right now

Ok that is how to test the starter or take a small screwdriver or jumper wire as it shows in the video and jump across the starter. Other option is to remove the starter and bring it to a local auto parts store and have it bench tested to see if it is good or bad. This will tell if its only a starter issue or something else is wrong with the vehicle.

I'm just getting it towed to a mechanic thanks for the help

Very good, if you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating using the 5 stars above so I get credit for helping you

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you!

Could it be the starter solenoid?

Yes, if the starter wont crank over when jumped, I thought you had a mechanic looking at this?

I did he started it all day Monday and Tuesday we drove it home and it wouldnt crank again.

He didnt change anything? It worked fine once it got to his shop?

he didn't change a thing.

I would change the starter if it wont start and it has power to the starter.

Is a solenoid problem a common thing for a jeep?

Any vehicle, if you are having starter issues, change the whole starter

Thank you

You are welcome!