Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2015 Jeep Wrangler. I have a customer that wants to put a…

2015 Jeep Wrangler. I have...
2015 Jeep Wrangler. I have a customer that wants to put a led light bar on the rear of his jeep. Pretty straight forward. But he wants a switch mounted in the rear and in the dash as well. Does anyone have a wiring diagram or suggestions on how to wire 2 switches to one light?
8/19/2017
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Use a relay to accomplish this. Wire the control side of the relay to the switches and wire the power side of the relay directly to the battery. If you want an actual diagram, let me know. I can draw one up for you if necessary...

Thank you,

Robert

A diagram would be very useful thank you

Hopefully you understand this diagram. Let me know if not...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
My only question is do the switches connect to the negative of the battery and then just ground the light bar in the back?

Both switches will basically have one terminal connected to terminal 85 on the relay. The switches can be grounded to the body or chassis near where they are mounted as well as the light bar... This will reduce the wiring necessary to make this work. The only wire that MUST be hooked to the battery positive is the one that is connected to terminal 30 of the relay (be sure to use a 15 or 20 amp fuse close to the battery). None of the ground wires need to be connected directly to the battery... The wire hooked to cavity 86 can be hooked to battery positive OR an Ignition Switched positive wire depending on how the customer wants to control the lights (key on ONLY or key on OR off).

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Make sure both positive wires are FUSED. The one at cavity 86 needs to be 5 to 10 amps. Make sure fuses are close to the source voltage.

Also, use appropriately sized wire for the "Load" side (side Light Bar is connected to) of the relay. The gauge should be at least the same or larger that the wires that came with the light bar.. The control side of the relay (85 and 86) can be lighter gauge wire such as 16 or 18 gauge..

Thank you,

Robert