Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking is the

No camshaft signal detected during engine cranking is the code it's throwing. It starts and runs til you shut if off then won't restart for a day or so. What should we do?
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Yes and no. It cranks.Y
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1997 grand cherokee 5.2
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New fuel pump and new coil. It started not starting after we had the windshield shield replaced
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sure I also replaced the distributor but it ran fine after that. Thank you Pearl

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

If the engine is throwing a cam or crank sensor code or it cranks over but does not start due to no spark, the cam sensor inside the distributor and the crank sensor could be faulty. Both need to be checked and replaced as needed.

If you have ALREADY replaced the complete distributor assembly, then the crank sensor could be faulty causing this condition. Sometimes the computer can get confused and flag a cam sensor code if the crank sensor signal is faulty or erratic.

Another possible cause would be a faulty new cam sensor inside the distributor assembly. This does happen from time to time. IF this is the case, it should be replaced under warranty.

Also, be sure to check the wiring running between the cam and crank sensors and PCM

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the crank sensor down on the flywheel?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the PCM the computer?

It is located on the transmission bell housing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the PCM?

Powertrain control module (main engine computer)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
THank you for your time.

You are most welcome.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Have a great night!