Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Replaced the catalytic converters (bolt on y pipe with 2…

Replaced the catalytic converters...

Replaced the catalytic converters (bolt on y pipe with 2 cats) on 06' jeep liberty 3.7L about 2 weeks ago. Today, after driving about 3 miles the vehicle died while driving (noticed RPM's dropping rapidly, oil light came on, and lost power steering. Started right back up, went home an parked it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Have had zero problems since replacing the cats and O2 sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes fixing myself. haven't tried anything yet. going to start where the exhaust flange mounts at the motor, i'm thinking there may be a exhaust leak there

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

8/16/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, I dont believe the symptoms match with any type of exhaust leak.

They are more consistent with loss of fuel or spark.

Do you have a scan tool or code reader? If so, start by checking for any stored pending or active codes and let me know.

If you dont have one, does your Liberty have a digital odometer

I will put a code reader on it tonight. I'm currently at work. prior to replacing the cats and O2 sensors, I replaced all spark plugs, and the camshaft position sensor.

HI,

While not guaranteed to be the problem, the symptoms point to the crankshaft position sensor.

Other possible causes include the ASD relay, Fuel pump relay, or the fuel pump.

Once you can check for fault codes, let me know results and will go from there

no codes from the code reader ��

HI,

Ok, even though there are no codes, it may still be the crank sensor that dropped signal and caused the engine to turn off.

Unfortunately if it is starting right now, and no codes, there are not any tests you can do as they will not show anything at all being wrong, no matter the cause.

If your scan tool has live data, my suggestion would be to drive the vehicle with the scan tool hooked up at all times and if the engine dies again, check the data to see if the crank or rpm signal is lost first. IF it is, then it is the crank sensor.

If not, then look at the data to see if fuel was lost first and if so, the ASD and Fuel Pump relays should be felt in the engine compartment fuse box to see if either is hot. If ok, then it is the fuel pump

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager