Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Have a intermittent but frequent P0741 code. Already

Customer Question

Have a intermittent but frequent P0741 code. Already replaced torque converter lock up solenoid with no change. Torque converter appears to be working as RPM and acceleration is fine with no weird noises. If the trouble code populates its only after driving for 30 minutes or more. Sometimes the code does not populate at all. Fluid is new and at the proper level. New transmission filter as well. However, just before the transmission will throw the code the engine loses power and slowly decelerates. After a second or two it will "wake up" drop down a gear or two, then find the proper gear and resume cruising, but RPMs will be higher now and the code populates. So far I've only noticed this behavior on hills. I lived in Arizona before and only flat ground so if the issue was present did not manifest.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
9 times out of 10 this is usually the torque converter itself, but let check a few things out first when I get home from work in about 30 minutes. I will get back to you asap.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I am home now. What is the year, model, and engine in the vehicle?
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

2012 wrangler unlimited Rubicon 3.6

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Let me research this and get back to you asap
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome!

I did not see any bulletins regarding this torque converter code, and like I mentioned earlier, it is almost always a failing torque converter. I have put together the diagnostic procedure for this code in the link below. Click on the link and look at the procedure. Hopefully this will shed some light on this code, and help you diagnose it.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ya I've seen that before, however I don't have scan tool equipment capable of reading diagnostic data like that. Can you point me in the direction of the proper part number for a replacement torque converter?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Sure. Give me a few minutes to look it up.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Please send me the Jeep's VIN number. There are 2 different possible torque converters, and I want to be sure to get the correct number for you.

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1C4BJWFG8CL256399
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Thanks. Be right back

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Ok, the part number for a new torque converter is 68078840AA. The number for a remanufactured one is R8078840AA.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Hello, just checking back to see if you received the part numbers I sent you.
Chris
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did thank you. Prices aren't too bad. A side question. Since I just changed the trans fluid can I remove the converter without having to drain the transmission?
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Sure. You can do that. Some fluid will vome our of the old converter so be sure to add fluid when you are done.Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Oh and please don't forget to accept or rate my service when you get a chance.Thank you!Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
I hope that my answer and information was helpful, and if so would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

I hope that my answer and information was helpful, and if so would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! Chris