Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 91 jeep Cherokee sport and the check engine light…

Customer Question
I have a 91...

I have a 91 jeep Cherokee sport and the check engine light goes on after I've been driving a bit and also the light that indicates to change gears does that in 5th gear, I just had a clutch adjustment done and also my speedometer stopped working, are all these things intertwined

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I wish I knew how to fix it, I haven't tried anything, just hoping its something easy before I take it to shop

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
8/4/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 6 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Sounds like a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. The sensor or wiring on the transmission may have been damaged when the clutch job was done. Go back to the shop who did the work and have them double check that sensor and wiring. If the wiring is good, then suspect a failed speed sensor and replace it.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you were able to see my answer from earlier today.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman