Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

97 jeep wrangler 4 cylinder automatic..Torque converter not

Customer Question

97 jeep wrangler 4 cylinder automatic..Torque converter not locking up into 3rd & 4th gear
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 2 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is ***** ***** the engine light on and are there any codes about this problem>

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Yes, code 0740 as well as an engine misfiring code. However I did replace the coil a while back and never reset the check engine light

OK yes that will be Torque Converter Clutch - No RPM Drop At Lockup

this problem will reset it self if the problem is fix, perhaps the misfire counter reset but you still have problems with the is code.

Monitor the Orange/Light Green wire for the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) should ground it at steady throttle at above 45 MPH.
If the PCM is grounding it, but there is no RPM drop when it is grounded, check for a faulty TCC solenoid.
If the TCC solenoid is working OK, then check the front pump bushings and sealing rings.
If the front pump bushings and sealing rings are OK, replace the torque converter.