Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Had an inspection yesterday for my 2003 Jeep GC Laredo 4.7

Customer Question
engine, reverse lights not working...
Had an inspection yesterday for my 2003 Jeep GC Laredo 4.7 engine, reverse lights not working, the bulbs, fuse and wiring is fine all the way back to the plug in on the tranny, but not getting juice at the plug. The shop is suggesting they may need to open the tranny cover to get at the switch they believe is located inside the tranny. This sounds very expensive and I'm hoping there may be an alternative solution or a workaround. The Jeep has the towing package so i'm wondering if we can splice the reverse lights wiring onto that to avoid having to open the tranny. Also am wondering if i disconnect battery terminals and the IOD fuse for a time if the system might reinitiate on its own?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Jeep
just trying to get my inspection stickers without a lot of expense since i'm expecting to trade the car in sometime this year. Thanks !
8/4/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 3 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

Your transmission range switch is on top of the valve body and not only signals the lights but also transmission for reverse. You cannot bypass switch or will malfunction transmission. Also you cannot hook up to revers trailer connector since it gets signal from same switch. The transmission pan needs to removed and valve body removed to get to switch to replace it. Have you checked fuse number 20 in fuse box inside vehicle? If it is good then switch or wiring has issue.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
Jaybird61