Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2004 crd jeep liberty all of a sudden idle rough and lots of…

Customer Question
2004 crd jeep liberty...

2004 crd jeep liberty all of a sudden idle rough and lots of white smoke . when driving every thing seems ok.problem only on idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?

I cleane the MAP sencor

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
8/3/2017
Jeep Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

That's the sign of a blown head gasket when that happens. I'm sure the check engine light is on and/or flashing due too the misfire from coolant getting into the cylinders.

A compression/cylinder leak down test will confirm this.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no engine or other warning light . Also no sign of water in the oil.

It's just a matter of time for it to happen, And it's using so little coolant, you probably won't see fluid exchanges yet. I wouldn't run it though or more damage could occur such as hydro locking. the tests I said to do is important now.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.