Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Keep won't shift out of first. Codes p0642/p0700 show on

Customer Question

Keep won't shift out of first. Codes p0642/p0700 show on reader..
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Don't know how old transmission is. No leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 06 commander
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Read codes. Trying to decide if it the Tcu or shifter module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jeep
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. let me know when your ready

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am ready

1. Check the connector at the right front corner of the transmission. It is common for this connector to leak fluid. This can cause the speed sensors to read false RPM signals.

2. The connector pass-through bushing can be replaced without dropping the transmission pan.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I will take a look when I get home.

Sounds good ill be around

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when you reference right side of transmission you are talking from driver seat. There is nothing leaking under Jeep. Would this be leaking internally?

right front would be passenger and the main connector for the solenoids is there and has issues with connections and leaking, I would pull it and inspect it very carefully, and a trans can only leak externally