Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

No fire at spark plugs point and no power st the pigtail of…

Customer Question
No fire at spark...

No fire at spark plugs point and no power st the pigtail of cks

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

None at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

01 Cherokee sport

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed cks, cks and put new plugs thinking it was the sensor after still no fire I thought well check the actual connector. No power going to the connector

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

From the computer

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jeep
7/29/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

What engine do you have?

4.0
It has no power at the crank position sensor coming from computer plugs are not firing. I know that derives from the crank position sensor not working. So root cause is that the connector has no power but why I'm lost.

Did you check with key on to the orange wire?

I checked all of them just to be sure nothing

Also check same color wire at TPS and MAP sensors to see if they have power? Should be 5 volts.

Check fuses 8, 18 and 21 with key on in engine fuse box for power to them?

With key on?

Yes.

Battery just went dead let me take this battery back and get a new one can I just message you back and you answer. Is this charging me 26 dollars every answer you give

You are not charged per answer I give but for the questions and answer session on this question. I will be here when you get back just let me know.

I do not see the final answer
You were going to let me know after replacing battery
Did you check the fuses for power after battery was replaced
they were good I have 5 volts on orange wire at computer rechecked the pigtail or connector at sensor with key in on position

And did you have power at connector?

Do I need to be starting it or just in the on position

If you have power from computer then it should have power to connector with key on.

It don't really read the same tho it's like 5 - 8 at computer
Jumps all over at connector

You may just have a bad connection. i would recommend replace crankshaft sensor and see if it starts since 95% of no starts on this engine are the crank sensor problems.

Okay I've ordered a pretty good sensor. It is a BWD sensor. Lifetime warranty! I'll try it but tonight and let you know if it works

Okay. Thanks.

My part finally came in put it on and it says same thing but now I checked cam shaft sensor. And the cam shaft synchronizer has broken the wheel. I do not understand why this would make it not fire
The shorted sensor will cause system to not fire. You will need to replace entire assembly
The signal return in sensor will cause the no fire. Try to disconnect cam sensor to see if you get spark even though it will not be at correct time
Okay I will try this I had to order the synchronizer and the sensor suppose to have it here at 630 tonight

Okay.

Okay so I have put it back together but where the sensor and the synchronizer was broke it's out of time.

Here is direction for putting in a new one.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYolFk2gzz98a3xZ6P

Jeep Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago

Let me know if you have any other questions for me?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61