Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Second opinion] Had a problem with the tailgate today. It…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Had a...

Second opinion] Had a problem with the tailgate today. It refused to open and warning light showed tailgate open, but it was locked tight. Inside lights were on. Any attempt to open it produced 3 beeps. Then suddenly when driving home after leaving vacation a day early, since I knew the lights would draw down the battery, the lights went out and the tailgate began working. Curious to know what to do if this happens again. Jumping the car with the battery under the passenger seat makes things very difficult. Couldn't have been a Purdue Engineer that designed it to go there!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The lights above which also have the controls for door openiings and along the sides in the back

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet except pounding around the lock to see if I could jar it loose. Then, as i said on the way home after driving about 40 miles, lights went out and tailgate was able to open and close. It was out in very hot sun today. Came home in the evening when cooler. I took off the panel on the inside of the tailgate, where according to the booklet, I could manually open it from there. But I couldn't spot anything in there to operate the lock

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jeep
7/30/2017
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It would require some testing at the time the problem is happening to know for sure what is going on but odds are you have a bad latch. The ajar switch is integral to the latch and if the liftgate was closed yet it showed ajar then odds are the the switch is bad, which would require latch replacement. It could also be a wiring or module issue but that's less likely then a latch issue.

The interior lights will time out on their own to prevent the battery from dying, but you do have jump start posts under the hood on the right side.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!