Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I recently bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4.7L V8.

Customer Question
I recently bought a...

I recently bought a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4.7L V8. The airon/auto temp control was erratic and eventually died. Symptoms in short. AC worked fine whilst engine is running. After engine shut down (5min, one hour, overnight) caused the AC to misbehave. Sometimes it would work fine, sometimes not at all. Adjusting the front seats appeared to affect the AC working or not working. Had a complete AC system diagnostic test done and was told that the Auto Temp Control unit has died. Part number 55116709AF need to be replaced? All fuses were checked and found to be fine. What could be the problem and is replacing the ATC unit the correct solution?

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes, I had both fuse panels checked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I only had it tested and checked by local auto electricians (non Jeep specialists)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes please. Does the electric seating adjuster switches on the front seats and on the driver's side front door related to the AC problems?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jeep
7/29/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does the temp control turn on at all now?

No it does not
No thank you, ***** ***** not want to pay any additional money

Sorry about that, website automatically offers service.

It sounds like the AC control has failed but to know for sure you will need to check power/ground at the ac controller. At controller the white/pink wire should have power with key on, pink wire should have voltage at all times, and black wire should have ground at all times. If all are good but control isn't turning on then it needs to be replaced. I'm assuming shop did this test. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician