Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Story short. 99 Jeep Cherokee (inline six), engine went bad,

Customer Question

long story short. 99 Jeep Cherokee (inline six), engine went bad, replaced it along with a new radiator. Four months later, heater core starts leaking. Bypassed (HC) until I could afford to replace it, Had it replaced yesterday, picked it up, drove SIX Miles, and back / over pressure blew the radiator cap off!! WTH??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Are ypu kidding?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: AH. Okay. Didnt mention, With new engine, all new hoses, water pump, cap / wires.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, had a shop replace engine and radiator, then yesterday another shop did heater core and Power engine flush, today pressure blew rad cap
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats all I can think of, thanks.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. first thing you need to do is test the radiator cap, and then you need to get the air out of the system.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
With the new radiator, I opted for a cap with a (pull like) tab to release pressure. That kept letting fluid out resulting in having to replace said fluid x 7 gallons of 50/50 premix before getting putting the standard one that came with it on. Thats the one that blew off.

ok, and its still overheating and creating too much pressure?

do you still need assistance?