Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with just shy of

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with just shy of 137,000. It's been a commuter car mostly, no off-road. Lately, I've had times when I stop for a signal light and the motor wants to stall. Most times it doesn't, it mostly sounds like it will. It's kind of rumbly under the driver seat, a little growly. I'm not sure if it is transmission, or what? I've had the fuel regulator replaced, new shocks and new brake liners and front rotors, spark plugs, etc., hoping it will help. It still rumbles and seems to want to stall in stop/go traffic. Any ideas?
JA: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?
Customer: Miles: 136,191. Front rotors and all 4 brake liners were replaced last weekend, so new brakes.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have a mechanic who has done the work. He works at a dealership as a mechanic and does some work on the side (mine and others).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sometimes when I'm shifting to maneuver into parking spot, I notice the tranny makes some noises, almost stalls (better since I had the fuel regulator and spark plugs), but never quite stalls. ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer! My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

. This type of stalling is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop. The reason it started after the battery went dead is because the PCM (computer) lost it's idle steps memory and reset to a default position for the idle motor. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

The only other thing it may be is the transmission torque converter that is not fully unlocking when coming to a stop, so do the throttle body / IAC things I mentioned. If it still acts up, then your torque converter may be the problem.

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't open answer on my laptop, which says i got reply. This is new to me. I'm texting from my cell, want to use laptop.
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hmmm, Can you click on the "reply" or another link?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Can you see my answer on your phone?

Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.
Good morning, just checking back to see if you received my answer.
Chris
Expert:  Chris replied 2 months ago.

Hello???