Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Second opinion] 180ma draw on fuse 7, yes ase tech 25

Customer Question
Second opinion] 180ma draw...

Second opinion] 180ma draw on fuse 7

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the vehicle's manual yet?

Yes ase tech 25 years....this is a bugger

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

98 jeep grand cherokee laraedo 4.0l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Tailgate switches are all unplugged and new alternator....150a just for giggles.... it's my truck

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/27/2017
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 7 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you today. Give me a minute to pull up the diagram and see what circuits fuse 7 powers up. This is fuse 7 in the PDC under the hood, or the fuse box in the cab?

Chris

Mux tow under hood fuse #7 inside 160 ma drain

Okay thanks. Be right back

I have disconnected everything on the tailgate. Also the OEM amp headlight sensor
the cluster

Ok, fuse # 7 inside supplies power to the BCM, instrument cluster, audio amp (if equipped), and auto headlamp sensor (if equipped). Click on the link below to see the diagram. Try disconnecting the BCM and cluster next. I have seen the BCM cause this. BTW.

Chris

I have 3 bc 'needed' same draw on all 3
Bcms
I have a fsm and diagrams

Sorry, did you say that you have tried 3 BCm's?

I have 3 same draw on all

If you disconnect the BCM does the draw go away? Something may be keeping the BCM "awake"

I was thinking the same way. Disconnected the bcm no draw but what is keeping it awake

Let me think about this.

Chris

I wonder if one of the door key cylinder switches is stuck. They are all hard wired to the BCM. Do you have scan tool that will display BCM inputs and outputs?

Chris

No. If I did I wouldn't be bothering you
Btw the only scan tool that would read this would be a dealer drb 3

Gotcha. Well on that vehicle, only hard wired inputs should "wake up" the BCM And I think the next step is to check those key cylinder and door ajar switches. Maybe disconnect them one at a time, then allow 10 to 20 minutes for the BCM to power down. Let me know if that helps.

Several Snap on scanners with the older software will interface with that BCM. I know because I used to consult for Snap On years ago. Maybe you can find or rent an older one. Just a thought.

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman