Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I just had a mechanic diagnose a pcm failure for cylinder 5,

Customer Question

I just had a mechanic diagnose a pcm failure for cylinder 5, it was also giving error codes for cylinder one. Left the mechanic shop, 2 miles later, an awful noise started, pulled over, looked underneath, a mechanic near pulled the cylinder 1 1 ignition coil and it is completely melted on the bottom. I have to get the wrench to pull 2 and five to see if the same thing happened. 5 is new, they were all fine when I replaced the plugs a few weeks ago.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Do you have scan tool or a code reader?
Customer: 240k.. I don't need the scan tool for the jeep codes...there is a method to have the jeep display them on the odometer
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2004 liberty 3.7 fwd
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replacing coils, checking wires, I ordered the new pcm, they are easy to replace. I have to replace the radiator now too..top corner drivers side has a leak now..
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it won't go above 2200 rpm..thats when everything started. I was babying her, but having the mechanic today do diagnostics he must have done something because I have been baby driving her for a while while researching possible causes. The mechanic that heard the new noise and pulled the ignition coil mentioned a dropped valve seat.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 2 months ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

how did he comeup with a bad ecm/pcm?