Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Replaced ac compressor and accumulator and refilled until

Customer Question

replaced ac compressor and accumulator and refilled until compressor came on and cycle and kept refilling. When pressure kept going up I released some on low pressure side, but now compressor wont turn on
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: I released all on low pressure side and nothing comes out on high side
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: I though I overfilled cause it kept cycling after I stopped and kept going higher and eventually a little into red 2005 liberty
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I originally tried refilling, but it was allready in red...so I bought a new compressor and it came with oil and accumulator and an orifice tube, orings etc.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. ok, before you replaced these components did you vacuum the system down for 30 minutes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I didn't have the equipment...i did the work in an air conditioned shop and did it quickly

ok, you are going to need an ac manifold gauge set so we can see the high and low pressures.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't have one just the guage on the refill from autozone. I had the compressor cycling after some freon... but I ended putting too much i think...it kept going up as it stabliized and eventually I thought I could bleed some out on low side..now compressor wont come on

let it all out. start over

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Disconnect an oring line on both high and low sides?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't get anything to come out on high side large tire valve like

then its empty.

no, you depress the schrader valve to let it out

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Do you take connector and switch off to depress that one
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the connector on top of accumulator?

no, just the low side and high side ports

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
then try to refill and see if compressor starts to cycle again?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I put 3 oz of the oil in accumulator like haynes manual says...and I didn't check compressor just installed as it had oil in from santech

you never add oil in the system if the new compressor comes with oil in it.

yes, try to refill. once it starts cycling. stop

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not even when installing the new accumulator that came with the compressor

correct

the compressor has all the oil the system needs

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
cycling again...but I had to keep adding a little evertime to get it back on each time for a while...cycling...now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
still blowing warm air mostly still cycling though

add a little more

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
running between 24 and 55 now....but only got cold when I took out for a 55+ mph drive....fan may not be running or coming on? At least air is cooler a bit...but not cold yet...and condensation on low pressure line after orifice area crimped section on line.

gettin there, but the fan should come on as soon as the compressor kicks in.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What should I check for the fan not coming on on a 2005 Jeep liberty

put 12 volts directly to the fan to see if it works

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fan comes on when radiator call for it but not the ac

the fan for the radiator should only come on when the temp go a bit past mid gauge, is that when its coming on?

what engine do you have?3.7?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
3.7 ...thought maybe fan should come on right away with ac

it should come on right away with the ac on. i was just talking about the radiator

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you talking about fan inside car...for blower and is there one speed for the fan on the inside of the radiator

no, im talking about the fan in the engine compartment. theres a high speed and a low speed relay. they are all tied together with the ac clutch relay.

Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tried swapping relays for the low-speed and high-speed eventually ran a 12 V wire from the battery and tested the outside wires on a three wire connector connecting to the radiator fan and as I suspected the low-speed fan I shot one of the high-speed works. So I strip back the wire slightly on the backside of the fan plug on just the two outside wires and spliced a jumper and taped it together so now when the air conditioning comes on it starts the high-speed and the line from the the radiator back to the accumulator has lots of condensation and gets really cold so everything is working really good except it's not blowing as cold as I want. Next time going to try bypassing the heater core hoses to make sure it's not wiping out the air conditioning somehow under the dashboard before I tear the dashboard apart. And then I found something about adding a resistor to the wires under the dashboard that go up to a sensor to fool the compressor pump into running a little longer each time. Higher pressures I would've thought that the compressor of a cycled on and off with a low and high pressure sensor but it sounds like there's some kind of a temperature thermister sensor in the blower area that controls when the compressor shuts off. It's actually too cold now but it cooled down the last couple days It just doesn't have enough for the hot 90 days or if I was out in the desert out west. My temperature gauge runs a little lower because of the high speed fan running when the AC is on so I need to buy a new two speed fan.

ingenuity at its finest. double check to make sure you have enough refrigerant in the system to blow as cold as possible

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's maxed out now all the pressures are perfect at 90 degrees or 70 degrees.

ok. well is it colder when going down the road than sitting idling?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think so seems to work better when you're driving at 50

more airflow. possible partially clogged condenser?

hows it going?