sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Engine speed surges when cruise is engaged. Auto 150,000.

Customer Question

engine speed surges when cruise is engaged
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: auto 150,000
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2004 grand cherokee ltd
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, just starting. planning to replace vss
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're seeing a 2-300 RPM fluctuation at a steady speed the most likely cause is the throttle position sensor. When a TPS wears it can start to create voltage spikes in it's signal. This will be seen as you opening the throttle further than you are so the torque converter clutch unlocks. It would require some testing to know for sure but if this is what you're seeing I would recommend replacing the TPS.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!