Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers
Hello and welcome!My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.
I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.
I will try my best to answer all of your questions.
However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.
1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.
2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.
3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.
Your first step is to check for codes in the computer and do a capacitor discharge reset procedure by removing the battery cables together and rubbing them together for 5 minutes. They may allow the modules to reset on your vehicle which may help. If not, you need to get the stored codes in all modules on board the vehicle and have them updated with the latest software version available from the dealer as needed
Based on my experience, if this condition is in fact caused by a module, it is either the TIPM, wireless control module or skim and or PCM.
YES your local auto parts store should be able to pull codes from you as an additional service. If not, they will have this tool/scanner available for sale there you can purchase to check for codes.
I am sorry but I dont understand your last reply.
Are you saying that the problem has imporoved?
The battery light is illuminated?
What is the battery voltage at when the engine is running?
Please don't do that.
That is no longer a good way to check/test the charging system.
You can harm the expensive electronics on the vehicle by doing that.
Right, you will need to use a hand held voltmeter to check the battery voltage.
Going to step off line for a bit this afternoon.
Will check back with you later today.
Ok, that seems a bit low. Your alternator could be faulty or it could be a power supply issue related to a blown fuse or power distribution center..
However, I believe you are certainly headed in the right direction.
I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.