Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

Can not get the jeep out of security mode, 2009 Jeep

Customer Question

Can not get the jeep out of security mode
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2009 Jeep Wrangler unlimited x
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler Unlimited yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: unplugged the battery and fuses and tried to reset it. And no it's at a mechanic
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: yes and it's not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 12 days ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Has it been scanned for codes yet? If so, can you post the codes that were retrieved here? This will help me determine what you should do first.

Do you have a second key available?

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I have plugged it in and no codes are posted I don't have spare key and I'm currently not at the jeep now it is at a local mechanics shop and he doesn't know what to do either so I don't have vin number the odometer is at 86,000
Expert:  Robert R replied 12 days ago.

Do you know the make and model of the scan tool or code reader that was used to attempt to retrieve codes?

Do you know if there is a "red dot" or a "key with slash through it" illuminated on the cluster when you are trying to start it?

If so what does this light do? Stay on, start flashing or go out after a few seconds?

What is the reason you think that it won't come out of security mode?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The has the red light and it stays on as well as the 4 ways and I'm not sure I went to get in it one morning and the alarm started going off and I couldn't get it to start or unlock or anything to get alarm off so I unplugged battery to get the horn to quit going off
Expert:  Robert R replied 12 days ago.

The light staying on usually means that the Transponder Chip in the key is bad. Do you have a second key available to try?

Also, what about the remote fob? Have you checked the batteries.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The battery in fob is new just replaced it today because that's what I thought it was at first and no I just have the one key
Expert:  Robert R replied 12 days ago.

Can you get the doors to lock and unlock using the fob?