eric remington
eric remington,
Experience:  mechanic/service advisor at topline auto
95415974

In my 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee, I've followed the

In my 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee, I've followed the "recommended" procedure of drilling 1/4" hole to try to clean out any debris that might be clogging up my condensate drain, causing my AC to condense all over my floor board. I used a coathanger as well as compressed air and nothing seems to be working. I don't even see any debris at allI'm not sure if I have drilled the hole in the right place. Can someone tell me if I've drilled it in the right place? Please see attached pics. If so, is there anything else I can try? If not in the right place, can you guide me to the right place?Thanks!

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Is the evaporator box itself condensating on your floorboard or do you have water in the floorboard?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry I don't understand the question. Where is the evaporator box? If you look at the picture where I drilled a hole, water is coming out behind that thing... it's dribbling down against the floorboardI don't know where the condensation is coming from, however I am told that I can clean out that area where I drilled a hole. That didn't work.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you available? I'm trying to work on this now. Much appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to give you a positive rating, but you've basically abandoned me after one exchange.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PLEASE ANSWER OR RELEASE THE QUESTION!!!!!

hello my name is Eric

A/C evaporator drain is plugged. How to clear it.

Average Reported Mileage:116000

Tests/Procedures:1. The drain is similar to the early model Grand Cherokees. Roll the carpet back near the blower motor. There is a round molded part that is part of the evaporator case. Drill a 1/4" hole in the center of this. The drain passage goes straight forward through the firewall.

2. Use a twisted pair of mechanic's wire to run through this passage and use compressed air to clear this out.

3. Plug the hole that was drilled in step 1.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You have clearly not read my entire post! I've already done those things! PLEASE read my entire post and then answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You haven't even read my original post or looked at my photos.

y​ou have blown compressed air

have you found the drain itself? blow compressed air thru there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PLEASE read my posts above.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Like I said, I don't know if I've even drilled the hole in the right place. That's why I attached the photos. Did you look at those?

I realize that but can you see the drain? are you a harry home owner or a mechanic...I know these can be frustrating...my thought is that maybe the tsb doesn't apply to this vehicle and if you find the actual drain and blow it out it may work....can you give me a link to your tsb that you had alldata doesn't mention it...I remember running across this but its been a number of years do you have vin number

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry to display my frustration, it's just that I posted this question 2 days ago, and the first guy completely abandoned my question. Been without AC in Texas!I'm not a mechanic but I've done plenty of repair work on vehicles over the years, including entire cooling systems, head gaskets, and also a/c system repair. I don't know the term "tsb," what is that? I don't have the VIN close by right now. 2001 Grand Cherokee, straight 6 (4.0 I think), 2wd
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I can't see any drain. The hole isn't large enough to see anything in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OWSoWf2z8 look at this video

maybe a larger drill bit like 2inches lol

there may be dbris stuck in there still

I would try and using a slightly larger drill bit use pliers or a screwdriver and poke around in there and see if you can see any debris...I ran into this a few years ago and got the plug from the dealer

I was able to clear mine out...the problem when I look this up in alldata Mitchell and identifix no mention of this except idnetifix but doesn't mention your model...maybe I'm tired look ath video and let me know iwill do research when I wake tomorrow morning or this morning

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wow, that's a coincidence. I saw that video, which is what inspired me to drill the hole in the first place. Mine is a slightly different shape, the portion coming down from the upper left covers more of the round part, which is why I'm wondering if I drilled the hole too low.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Were you saying that the drain hose goes straight out of the firewall from there?

c​ant get a decent picture even with all the big gun info I have...some of these had no drain hose per say do you see one on firewall.....so you turn ac on water accumulates inside passenger floorboard...? cn u see where its coming from around the plug?

y​ou drilled round part

th​is repair may have been done...peel back the silicone and pull plug back and see if you can see anything behind

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are the original owners, so I know there's been no repairs on it. It's leaking "behind" the round plastic thing that I drilled a hole in. There's no silicone anywhere. I never plugged up the hole because I don't turn the AC on. Just drilled it recently after watching that video. What I've read is that there is no drain line coming through the firewall, you have to get up underneath the vehicle and it's very hard to find

yes and what we read and what is can be different I read same thing....

I'm going to put in 99 to 2003 and see if I can get the actual tech serv bulletin tsb

so what is going on??

If you don't turn on ac...then where is water coming from?

where is the water leak? maybe you have a leak elsewhere...cause if you don't use ac its gotta be coming from elsewhere...agreed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, so I've figured out that there is no drain "hose." I put a coathanger into the hole and it came out through the firewall so I was able to see where it came out from under the vehicle and there was no hose. Just a hole.Then, I looked at the round part that I drilled a hole in, and realized that it has a space between it and the floorboard. So, it makes sense that if there's no hose, and there is a space between that black plastic and the floorboard, that water is going to drip out. So, I smeared silicone sealant between that round thing and the floorboard, which is where the water was drooling out. I'm going to let that dry and see how it does.Just curious, is there supposed to be a hose running from something in that housing through the firewall?To answer your question, it only leaks when the AC is on.

NO THIS IS A STRANGE BIRD NO HOSE....I CALL IT THE EUNUCH EVAPORATOR

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Haha. Is there a way for me to install a hose?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dang it. Leaking right around the silicone. >:(

plz do rate me as tthat is how I'm compensated thanks for using just answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will. I was hoping you might have other suggestions.

s​till not draining? take a pic and see if you can dislodge and debris.....the problem is this is the method the manuf has provided...drill a hole scrape inside and wave your wand.....maybe loosen up the case a bit and blow in there if too much debris you may have to take it apart and get it out that way or you can get a small hole saw and then repair it after picking and nlowing....yah messed up design for sure...Ive always had success in the times I have done that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's no debris, I confirmed that. The problem is it's leaking down behind that round thing (what is that round thing called by the way?)

good question let me do some research

Ievaporatorts called round thing lol....don't think its gotta name part of evaporator lol

eric remington,
Experience: mechanic/service advisor at topline auto
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hi I've made some progress. I'm realizing what you said above and no I'm not talking about the evaporator. If you look at the photo I attached I'm talking about that round thing. What I did was completely seal around it and the hole that I drilled with silicone and that stopped the leaking.However, now there is water sloshing around under my dash again. I was able to stick a coat hanger all the way from that hole through the drain line and out of the bottom of the vehicle, so I know there's no debris blocking it. What else could be causing this sloshing around? Somehow, water is being trapped but I don't know what it's trapped in or where it's coming from.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Please let me know if you plan to follow up, or if I need to generate a new question