Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Over the weekend, I pressure washed under the hood of my

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee....
Over the weekend, I pressure washed under the hood of my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As I left the car wash, the gas guage quit working. The low fuel light came on and then the check engine light came on. I checked all the fuses located on the left front fender apron. Is there another relay somewhere that I could have missed? Assuming I got something wet that I shouldn't have.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stays on. The guage tried to work once, but then dropped back to empty.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. So far I checked fuses under the hood and under the dash. Reset the check engine light, but it came right back on.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's all the info I have.
5/17/2017
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

It sounds like your fuel tank sending unit has failed which will require you to pull the fuel tank.. Are you planning on doing your own repairs?

I will do my own repairs. So you think it's just a coincidence that this happened at the same time I pressure washed under the hood of the vehicle?

I don't think the pressure washing had anything to do with this issue..

The fuel gauge gives an indication to the vehicle operator of the level of fuel in the fuel tank. This gauge is controlled by the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and a hard wired input received by the cluster from the fuel level sending unit on the fuel pump module in the fuel tank.

The fuel gauge is driven by an electronic stepper motor unit that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the ON or START positions. The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position.

I attached the test you need to follow to determine the cause or you could just try replacing the sending unit to see if it resolves your issues..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Brad
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech