Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Replaced the motor in my 1994 jeep Cherokee timing is dead

Customer Question

replaced the motor in my 1994 jeep Cherokee timing is dead on. has spark but wont start. it turns over has a back fire but wont staart
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: they are good
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. tbs. after I replaced the motor I drove it to get inspected on the way home it started to act up and stalled out now it wont start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

is there a check engine light on ?

have you had a diagnostic scan and retrieved the fault codes ?

We need correct Fuel pressure & good Spark for the engine to run correctly ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it has good spark. it has fuel. yes I am fixing it my self. no check engine lights

how did you check fuel and what was the fuel pressure : these are your specs if you have a 4.0 in it , Fuel Pressure Key On, engine running ........................................ 214 kPa (31 psi) Regualtor vacuum hose disconnected .................... 269-283 kPa (39-41 psi) ,is this what you got ?

how did you check for spark ?

you might have good fuel pressure at the fuel rail but are the injector opening up and pulsing ?

with starting fluid ,if you spray in the intake does it start and run and then dies ? did you check that and if you have not can you ?

u have 4.0 or 2.5 liter in it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a 5.2. 49 psi

ok so you have a Grand Cherokee not a Cherokee , only one that comes with v8 5.2

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry

not problem at all :) These are the specs for the 5.2 liter ,which are the same pressure specs

994 Jeep Truck Grand Cherokee 2WD V8-318 5.2L VIN Y MFI

Save Article

Note: All pressures are at idle speed. Fuel Pressure Vacuum applied to regulator.....................................214 kPa (31 psi) Vacuum Not Applied (to pressure regulator)...........269 - 276 kPa (39 - 41 psi) Pressure Drop (fuel pump not engaged)..................... Up to138 kPa (20 psi)

is this reading running or key on engine off ?

spray starting fluid and let see if it start can you do that and let me know

Please let me know

Thank You

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it back fires throw the intake

well , we need to check timing , if you are back firing ,again , if you spray starting fluid does it run ?

how far did you drive on it after engine replacement and did it die while driving or after you shut it off it would not start ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
timing is on drove it 26 miles died while I was driving it. and no it doesn't start on starting fluid

what you mean timing is on , Correct you mean ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
timing marks are right on compression strokes

if spark and fuel is correct and you back firing ,check exhaust flow ,is this original exhaust

do you have a scanner that can red live data ,like fuel trims , oxygen sensor ,fuel status ?

have you checked compression ?

1994 Jeep Truck Grand Cherokee 2WD V8-318 5.2L VIN Y MFI

Save Article

Compression pressure should be approximately 100 psi. Compression pressure should be measured with engine warm, all spark plugs removed, throttle wide open and engine cranked with a fully charged battery. Pressure variation between cylinders should not exceed 25 psi.