Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

My 2009 keep grand Cherokee has lights, horn, all kinda of

Customer Question

My 2009 keep grand Cherokee has lights, horn , all kinda of power, but will not turn the engine! Doesn't even click like a bad battery !
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Battery is fine
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had a brand new ignition put in. It worked fine for a year , no it's doing the same thing.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If it sits awhile or over night, it starts.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have you delt with this problem
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Yes, try this, turn the key on, put the transmission in neutral, Then while HOLDING the key in START position, move the gear stick from N to D to R to P and see if it starts then.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started once, but not starting no
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

It won't even crank right? you hit the key in P or N and you get nothing correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's correct
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Alright, your not getting any security lights blinking with the key on in the dash are you? do you have a spare key you could try by chance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The lights on the dashboard light up and I've tried the spare key, still nothing
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

Alright, can you get somebody to HOLD the key in START position while you go tap on the starter motor itself with a hammer or tire iron. Or next step will be to check for power at the small wire on the starter motor with a test light or volt meter when the key is in the START position.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put a brand new starter in a month ago
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

What size engine is in it? thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

I'm gonna pull the wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3.7
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3.7L
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.

My reference is down on this one for some reason. Let me opt out so another expert can assist. Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Brad replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I would like to help but I won't have any ideas for you unless you know what codes are setting in the modules.. Is there any way you can have the codes read with a scantool and post them here so I can tell better what is going on? We have seen this on a few vehicles and it could be a trans temp sensor if you have a P0710 or a B1A28 in the FCM would be a bad WIN module which is the part you stick your key into.. I just will need more information to better help..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just had that replaced a year ago. Got two new keys to go with it . I have a scan tool and nothing comes up on the codes .
Expert:  Brad replied 5 months ago.

Do you have an actual scantool to communicate with all the modules like a Snap-On or do you have a cheap OBDII code reader?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lol , a cheap OBD reader
Expert:  Brad replied 5 months ago.

That's what I figured and to correctly repair this issue I will need to know what codes are in all the modules with a scantool. I explain I have attached a picture of my scantool showing the codes..

Post the codes here if you can get them.

Thanks,

Brad

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok , thanks
Expert:  Brad replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome..

Keep me posted,

Brad