Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Our 2001 jeep cherokee sport is making a chattering noise

Customer Question

Our 2001 jeep cherokee sport is making a chattering noise when motor is running without the air on, air conditioning does work, could the problem still be in the air conditioner?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 181000 miles on the car, has been going on for a couple of months.
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to figure out the problem right now, but will try to fix it ourselves.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So when you turn the AC on, the noise stops?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Good morning, not sure where you went, but if the noise is completely gone when the AC compressor is on, then that means the compressor's clutch/pulley assembly is worn out (bearing) and it will need to be replaced. Since the vehicle has 181,000 miles, it would be wise to replace the complete compressor assembly. I am very confident that this will take care of the noise.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

I hope this is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you are seeing my replies.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.
Hello again,I hope that my answer is helpful, and if so would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me. Thank you! . . . Chris