Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto
90546729

Problems started when gas tank was removed to install

Customer Question

Problems started when gas tank was removed to install protective cover. Mechanic replaces some of the lines and reinstalled. Ran great then started to sputter and backfire. Replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and sending unit. Ran great for 1 mile then parked. Next week it sputters and backfires so bad it will not run. Will turn over but always dies. Jeep CJ7 1983 with a 1995 inline 6 with fuel injection.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1983 CJ7 base model with Mopar 1995 inline 6 with fuel injection
JA: Are you fixing your CJ7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel sending unit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 4 months ago.

Hi im Reggie thanks for using JustAnswer. Put my years of experience and training to work for you

Hello sorry to hear of your trouble. From what i have read here it sounds like the mechanic got the lines crossed when he put the tank back up in other words the pressure line from pump is hooked up to return side of fuel rail and vice versa. I base this on the fact that the problem began immediately after a repair in that area, and also from your description of what the vehicle is doing. This is easy to do and if i read right you have a 95 fuel injection engine in a body that came carbuerated, meaning the fuel lines from the tank would vary from the ones on a 95..