Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicle
45790705

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6 spd., starts and runs great but

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6 spd., starts and runs great but frequently the idiot lights come on while driving, engine and all power is lost, the key light with the cross bar through it is on so I'm thinking the ignition system thinks I have a fake key. What should I do to correct?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: The entire engine shuts down, no power stearing or brakes etc. Radio and lights work but everything tied to the engine stops.
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything other than using my second key that was brand new and it seemed to solve the problem for a month or so but it is now back. My son thinks there is a pin that reads the key as part of the antitheft system?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

The best thing to do is to use GM Tech II scanner and retrieve fault code for the security module

even if the check engine light comes on and off, and off now ,with this scanner you can read what we call pending and history fault codes,this way we know for sure and not guessing at it, it could be the key or several other issues

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Quality-Tech-II-Scanner-Diagnostic-tool-for-GM-cars-/262863666885?hash=item3d33e53ec5:g:gpsAAOSwTuJYrHDb

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had a major shop check it out and no codes reported. They think it has to do with the anti-theft system thinking I have a fake ignition key

well If they had a capable scanner they can read the Pending or history fault codes from the anti- theft module , they only way they read no fault codes if the battery has been disconnected since last time it faulted

did they a Chrysler scanner on it

if the key was bad a capable; scanner can test the key, signal and registration to the vehicle

to confirm if the key is malfunctioning

why they think your key is fake is not original ,has it been replaced with a non oem key

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation.
Please kindly rate Me ,Your 5 Star Rating is Much Appreciated.

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,
You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert
that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat