Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

I had the "No fuse" message, have pushed down J13 fuse. No

Customer Question

I had the "No fuse" message, have pushed down J13 fuse. No more message but starter will not engage.
JA: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?
Customer: series of rapid ones.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2011 Liberty
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I am. I've tried a jump initially. Then saw the "No fuse" message. Found an answer here about re-seating it. I pulled J13 and re-seated it. Now I get better lights on the dash but the fast series of clicks. Not the normal clicking when a battery is dead.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No;
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I would disconnect the battery for 5 min and reconnect to see if a hard ret wil help.. Then if it's still clicking I will need to know what voltage the battery has when your starting or if it will start with a jumpstart..

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. I've disconnected the battery. Will be back with you after 5 min. plus reconnect time.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Let me know what happens..

Brad

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No clicking, odometer flashes/blinks and no sound from starter. I measured 12 volts across battery.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't see the "No fuse" message
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Tried jumping it. Dash lights are bright and I get the very rapid clicking. Again not the normal dead battery click.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Do you know what is clicking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, it's coming from engine compartment. It's as loud as the clicking you hear from starter when battery is dead/dying.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Can you tell if the fuse box is clicking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How loud would the clicking be?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

It shouldn't be rapidly clicking, and if it is then the fusebox which is called the TIPM is bad and will need to be replaced...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not coming from the TIPM. It's coming from down further in the engine.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

Is the starter clicking?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Probably that's what is clicking. It just doesn't sound like what I've heard on past engines. Sound is coming from front of engine and seems to be below the belt.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

If the starter is clicking then check and see if it's getting 12v from the TIPM. If no then the TIPM is bad, if yes then try tapping on the starter to see if it will start.. If not then remove it and have it tested...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where is the starter located on this jeep?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

I have attached the directions to help..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I rapped on the starter but no change. I can't lift the jeep to safely remove the starter. How do I get it into neutral so I can roll it out of the garage for a tow?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

With the key in the On position will the shifter move if you press on the brake? If not do you see a small cover on the shifter assy? It should be a small cover that if you pop it off you can bypass the shifter with a pen.. If you don't see a small cover then you will need to set the parking brake and pop the shifter off the transmission and manually get it into neutral

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No the shifter will not move. when i press the break the instrument panel flashes. There is no cover on the shifter.
Expert:  Brad replied 4 months ago.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE 5 Stars before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad