Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Ive changed the radiator,water pump and the thermostat and…

Customer Question
Ive changed the radiator,water...

Ive changed the radiator,water pump and the thermostat and all the hose but it still is over heating .. what else can it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

It has never overheated and i just serviced it two days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jeep?

95 jeep grand cherokee laredo 4wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes , i am. i ve changed the cover gasket and the manifold gasket has well. after changing that it started overheading

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
5/1/2017
Jeep Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

have you tested for head gasket failure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no i haven't
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how can i check it for head gasket failure

is it building pressure in the hoses?

this is a chenical test to check head/head gasket failures

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/uview-combustion-leak-tester-uvu560000/22981757-P

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
`theres no signs of chemical mixing ,the coolant and the oil . it has pressure in the hose and there no smoke coming out the muffler in which i do feel the air pressure.

is it pushing exhaaust into the radiator ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im not sure . how can you tell if it is cause i cant tell the difference
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the car will overheat 3/4 and it won't go any higher. we can still drive it and even if the a/c is on it won't get any hotter.

is the dash gauge correct? is it overheating? have you verified coolant temp

?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the temperature sensor is new and the gauge is correct as well.because if i disconnect the sensor the temp. gauge goes all the way down. and as soon as it's connected again it goes up again.

i would have a combustion leak test performed very likley it has a small head gasket leak or a cracked head...somwhat common on the old inline 6 motors

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can i get this checked at a auto part or advanced auto

no but they will sell you the test kit to do it yourself

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ive changed the injectors ,and the problem that i had with the manifold i no longer have it. i changed my spark plugs and wires so the manifold problem is gone. but the problem of the motor overheating still remains

sounds like a head or head gasket issue... if everything else is changed and good its a head or head gasket very common...and they dont always smoke or have intermix

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did the test but the car is still heating up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Everything came out fine

fan working correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what has me so confused

if the fan is working correct and the water pump is circulating and the radiator has no restrictions and the thermostat is working then its a head or head gasket...even if it passed the combustion test...the combustion check can be wrong especially if not tested when its acting up..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What else can it be if the spark lungs are dry with no oil

pics of the plugs?

and your positive its overheating?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can it be that the catalyst could be clogged and causing it to heat up

nope

eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy