Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I, I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo n I've started

Customer Question

I
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: hello I have a 2004 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo n I've started having a shutter from what seems to be the front end but it seems load related especially on braking or accelerating . I thought it was the front bearings n rpl them but still have the same issue . Someone mentioned that the cv joints could be going bad n someone also mentioned it could be coming from the front diff . Are there any common issues that u might know of before I start spending anymore money . thanks for any help you can give me ...
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: I bought it used so I'm guessing original . I certain its a drive line issue as the jeep was well maintained . yes fuel filter was changed .
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'm doing the work . I installed front bearings I also did the transfer case service thinking it might have been coming from there , trans has been serviced and the oil is nice n red with no burned oil smell .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It sound like it could be a bearing but when I decal just slightly the shutter goes away and the car drives smooth but when I brake or accel it comes back
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

does the steering wheel shake if you are pressing the brakes from say 40mph or so? or even higher speeds?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It starts once i start to accelerate almost like a wheel bearing but as soon as i left off tge gas slightly its fine until i accel again or touch the brake . I get very little ti almost no shacking in the steering wheel . I check the diff yesterday by removing the cover . The gear oil was clean n no unual wear .
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I replaced the wheel bearings n took everything apart again to see if the bearings went bad but they spin free with no grinding so every went back together n i retorqued every nit n bolt to factory specs
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

check the driveshaft and carrier bearing for play, a driveshaft carrier bearing will cause this for sure. yours should have one I believe.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry I've been dealing with a family emergency . I'm going to inspect the jeep and will write what i have found
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delay so i checked under the jeep n i dont see any driveline carrier bearing i do see on the rear driveshaft there appears to be a damper at the front of the shaft . So u have the trans then this damper n then the driveshaft . Could that be going bad , have u experienced that problem ..
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

well anytime there is an acceleration wobble its usually a driveshaft issue , can you upload a picture of what you are looking at so we can be on the same page?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok thanks, ***** ***** waste your time, if for some reason I cannot help you with this I will opt out to see if another tech can help, we will make sure you get this resolved or at least at a good diagnostic point.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok thanks gonna go and get a pic of this part n get it uploaded
Expert:  Lou P. replied 3 months ago.

ok cool., sorry for my delays this week, this in unlike me. I will respond faster to get you taken care of.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have u ever experienced with this part the symptoms I've explain vibration on acceleration n decel
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed response i had trouble down loading the pic
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

ok let me opt out, maybe another tech has some better info , sorry I was not that much help, my apologies, I will opt out .