Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Overheats, new thermostat, checked water pump no clue why,

overheats, new thermostat, checked water...
overheats, new thermostat, checked water pump no clue why
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: been in multiple times. always come up with "new" reasons still overheats
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2012 wrangler jk
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: am trying now, flushed cooling system and heater core. replaced themostat, removed and inspected water pump
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: rad was replaced in 2013, chrysler says there's nothing wrong with car
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/9/2017
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. have they checked the head gaskets?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto

said there may be a minor leak in one side
typing works for now

so they say there is a minor head gasket leak? is it under warranty?

no longer under warranty and the side that is leaking is not the one that is under recall (extended warranty)
also, little to no white smoke in exhaust, no oil in coolant, no bubbles in rad (cap off).
Last time in, chrysler said it was a "no flow" issue and replaced thermostat again. worked for a couple of days, but then overheated. Pulled the thermostat completely. car runs but runs hot.

did he perform a combustion leak test? not all head gaskets failures have intermix and bellow smoke

No they didn't, said the problem was the thermostat. Latest problem that is. They've replaced all kinds of sensors. Frankly car is a lemon.

sounds like a head gasket leak to me....jeeps are not what they use ta be.... so they did aknowledge a head gasket leak on one bank?

Said possible (Not chrysler). Chrysler said no

im saying head gasket ...any signs of coolant wash on the plugs? any one use a scope to view for coolant wash in the combustion chambers?

Ok, no but will check that next.
Thanks

that would be my next step ...sounds like a smal small head leak

That could cause the engine to over heat to be undriveable?

yes it would

Ok thanks. Told my son to steer clear of Chrysler but he had to have a jeep. Has paid half the cost again in repairs.
Thanks for your time

my son did the same thing 6 months ago...... he wanted a jeep because they are "tough"

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
John S

eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
eauto
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy