Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0 When it gets hot and is

I have a 2001 Wrangler...
I have a 2001 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0
When it gets hot and is shut off , it's hard to start, sputters. Now it is shutting off when I stop or sometimes when turning.
4/2/2017
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. Has the check engine light been coming on at all when you are driving?

Chris

It has come on, but is off now. Had the codes ran before, misfire on 3 cylinders , changed the plugs yesterday. Still shutting off

Ok, after it shuts off, will it immediately restsrt or do you have to wait a bit before it will?

Chris

Most times it will start right back up, ocassionally takes a few minutes

I see, well this type of stalling is usually caused by a throttle body that has become coked up with carbon deposits. When the throttle body gets dirty, then the airflow going around the throttle plate gets restricted. This can cause low or no idle and sometimes stalling when coming to a stop or turning. The other thing it may be is an idle motor that is sticking and cannot react fast enough to maintain an acceptable idle. I recommend purchasing a can of spray throttle body cleaner and clean out the inside of the throttle body. Be sure to clean the throttle plate paying attention to the edges of the plate (follow the directions on the can). If you still have this problem, then replacing the idle motor would be the next step.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

Thanks Chris, I also hD someone suggest it may be the catalytic converter? Possible?

You are welcome! Catalytic converter causing this? No, I don't think so. If it were the cat, then you would have constant poor performance all the time. The only other thing I can think of besides a dirty throttle body would be an intermittent problem with the crankshaft position sensor or the cam sensor in the distributor. But clean the throttle body and maybe replace the IAC motor. I think this will take care of it.

Chris

I hope this is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Ok , I'll give those a try. Thanks again Chris

Thank you!

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman