rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I'm working on a 1991 Cherokee sport 4.0 lt. The owner

Customer Question

I'm working on a 1991 Cherokee sport 4.0 lt. The owner purchased the truck with a very low milage Jasper rebuilt engine. It came in with a very bad surge/misfire/bucking at higher RPM. Determined the problem to be a trashed dist.gear and dist.drive gear on camshaft. I contacted Jasper and they covered the engine most of the labor under their warrenty. after installing the second JASPER engine and a new distributor it ran great. Its been driven only a couple hundred miles. It has returned with a surge at higher rpm. I removed the distributor to inspect it and again found significant wear on the dist. gear and the cam gear. the replacement block appears to have a December 2, 2000 build code. Is there some kind of interchangeabilty problem? Help!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Sounds like the wrong distributor because the meshing of the gear on it doesn't mesh correctly with the cam shaft. Jasper needs to double check the distributor application.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

If you have no more questions, it's time for you to rate me:)

Your credit card has already been charged, rating me is all that is left for you to do.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i veiwed answer the day you replied to the question. i also requested a refund