Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

I have a 2003 jeep Cherokee with 31 in tires that is

Customer Question

I have a 2003 jeep Cherokee with 31 in tires that is noticeably hard to stop. The fluid level is full and see no leaks. When driving I noticed that when I slam on the brakes it is hard to stop and doesn't screech to a halt.. All the brakes are in good operable order and newer.
Does this sound like a master cylinder.
I am pushing pretty hard on the pedal, harder than I should to stop.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Not likely to be a master cylinder. It is more likely that the brake booster is leaking and not providing enough boost. Do you hear any hissing sounds when you push down on the brake pedal coming from that area??

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

How long have you had the 31" tires? Was this condition happening before installing these tires?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was and I just changed back to the stock rims
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

Are the 31's on the stock rims or do you have a second set of wheels and tires?

Is the problem still present with the stock rims>??

Have you verified that the vacuum hose is properly connected to the vacuum brake booster?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is still there
Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

From what I have to go on I am suspecting a bad vacuum brake booster causing the problem.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

At this time, I recommend getting a test vacuum gauge and use it to check to be sure full engine vacuum at idle is reaching the brake booster. You would hook it to the vacuum hose at the brake booster and start the engine, vacuum should be at least 14" at idle. If that passes, next check would be to test the vacuum check valve at the booster to be sure it can hold vacuum in one direction and allow flow in the other direction. If that is ok, then you would need a vacuum pump to test the brake booster for leaks, you would remove the vacuum check valve from the brake booster and hook an appropriate hose adapter to the brake booster port, hook up a vacuum pump and apply 15" of vacuum to the booster, let it set a couple minutes with vacuum applied to check for any leaks. If it loses vacuum or you are unable to reach at least 10" of vacuum then the booster is bad and needs to be replaced....

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 9 months ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.