Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

I HAVE A JEEP CHEROKEE 1993 STRAIGHT 6. IT HAS A DIST. & 1

Customer Question

I HAVE A JEEP CHEROKEE 1993 STRAIGHT 6. IT HAS A DIST. & 1 COIL.I AM NOT GETNG SPARK TO PLUGS
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: WHEN IT ST0PPED RUNNING IT SET CODE 11 WHICH IS....NO SIGNAL FROM C.P.S. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSER. I REPLACED IT&IT DOESNT SET THAT
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: the exact code was 11.(no signal frm crankshaft.position.sensor to pwr control module. i replaced&code erased itself.it started&ran.drove it home.next am it wouldnt start.now no spark.to plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: check engine lite'comes on when ign. is turned on&sometimes it does not. tried pulling out one spark plug& check for spark.it started&ran w.o.plug in so i shut it down,put plug back in&it ran.i drove it around.next day nostart!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 8 months ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Now since you know there is no spark to the plugs, you can remove the coil wire from the center of the distributor and place the cable 1/4" from a good ground on the engine block and have someone crank it so you can check for spark from the coil, If you get spark from the coil then you need to check the distributor cap and rotor. If you still get no spark you will need to check the coil itself..

This is of course if there are no codes stored in the PCM..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert