Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

2002 grand cherokee 6 cylinder 2 wd. Was driving and went to

Customer Question

2002 grand cherokee 6 cylinder 2 wd. Was driving and went to pass and the vehicle just revved up with the car did not speed up like it went out of gear now when we first started when it's cold it will go into gear it will move forward and backwards but as it warms up it stops moving it also makes an intermittent rubbing sound and initially a pretty strong vibration when first starting it
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Have not checked the brake switch
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: How to check the transmission fluid that's about all just trying to diagnose the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The transmission was rebuilt within the last year or in a rural area and have to fix it ourselves
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

I'm assuming that this is an automatic trans

so as you say the very 1st thing to check is the fluid level and its condition

this video shows how to check the level, drain it and clean out the filter screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFI5Gt5Up6M

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the tyranny fluid, the level and condition is good.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Ok

in that case the next step is to drain it all off and remove the sump pan and then clean / flush out the filter screen

as to suffer a loss of drive usually means the oil pressure is too low and if the screen is choked up this will choke the pump

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. The car just came to a much colder region than it is usually in. The vehicle engages and moves when first started. Quits when warmer. I thought perhaps it could be a sensor. Particularly sense it was recently rebuilt, thought it less likely to be a dirty pan/screen. Is that possible?
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

hello

if the jeep moves off OK with a cold transmission then it could be down to an electrical issue as things warm up and expand and its also possible a lack of transmission oil pressure as you lose pressure as it heats up

usually a faulty sensor will pull up the transmission fault light though

so its well worth checking the electrical connections to the trans, disconnect and spray both sides with contact / switch cleaner ( not WD40) and check over the wiring harness for any signs of damage

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Will do as suggested...drain oil and check the screen, and check all electrical connections the tyranny.
Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

good luck

Expert:  Matt replied 6 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you