Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

My key is stuck in the ignition. Steering wheel moves fine.

Customer Question
My key is stuck in...
My key is stuck in the ignition
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yes, steering wheel moves fine. I tried moving it completely from side to side to see if it would unlock the key. Didn't work
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: Key is fine as far as I know
JA: What year is your Jeep?
Customer: 06 liberty
JA: Are you fixing your Liberty yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah, I'm in a parking lot trying to figure it out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else. I was going to try to take off the plastic cover around the wheel to see if I could find anything
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
12/31/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the key turn to the off position all the way?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tim- while I was waiting I kept fiddling with the key, and turned the gear shifter to each position and back again. I then tried the key again and it came right out.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way I can get my $5 back? Thanks!
Jeep Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If moving the shifter allowed the key to come out then it either wasn't fully in park when the problem happened or there is an interlock issue. The shifter/ignition interlock prevents the key from turning to the locked position if the shifter isn't in park. It's possible that it just wasn't put up into park forcefully enough, there may be a shifter, cable or trans issue preventing it from shifting into park properly, or the interlock cable may need to be adjusted.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician