Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Error code p1389. won't start, We recharged the battery over

Customer Question

error code p1389. won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: We recharged the battery over night. the terminal connectors are not corroded.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1999 jeep grand cherokee 4.7
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are fixing it ourselves. We swapped out the ASD relay with one from the junk yard. No luck
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We sprayed gas into the intake manifold to see if it was a fuel problem. Still would not start
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be an issue with the PCM or wiring from the relay or PCM itself.The diagnostic procedure below has to be followed to pinpoint which component or what is at fault here.Then from there it can be repaired to resolve this issue.If you need more info let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lp1owr8cy7xfnpr/asd-12-30.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwdp104kegv87wy/pcm-12-30.gif?dl=0

SYMPTOM
P1389-NO ASD RELAY OUTPUT VOLTAGE AT PCM

WHEN MONITORED
With ignition key on, battery voltage above 10.4 volts, and engine RPM greater than 400.

SET CONDITION
No voltage sensed at the PCM when the ASD relay is energized.

POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Wiring harness intermittent defect
- ASD relay output circuit open
- Fused B+ circuit open
- ASD relay defective
- PCM defective

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete