Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2006 jeep cammander- my jeep lights and alarm are coming on

Customer Question

2006 jeep cammander-
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my jeep lights and alarm are coming on automatically. also a red flashing lights is also on dashboard. now for the past year I have been overriding the alarm system because I know longer have a alarm key. so I am pushing buttom 4 locks, but before I close driver door i manually unlock driver door lock and shut door, then open driver door and manually lock it. 2nd problem- there is now a shaking it sterring wheel/does this need dealership diagnosis?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am in carson California and want a location i can bring my jeep too today
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Even though you have been manually overiding the security system from what you have described here this sounds like an issue with one of the door latches sending an incorrect signal on what position the door is in.This will cause the ecu to think the door is locked or unlocked or opened or closed intermittently off and on causing the alarm to set off like this here.This is common and is usually a fault with the drivers door latch itself needing replaced as this is the door that is used the most,

What needs to be done from here is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model that can read all door latch signals to then be able to see if one or more latches is sending an incorrect signal needing replaced.This is the best way to locate this issue here.But I do suspect one of the latches is sending an incorrect signal needing replaced.

As for the shaking this can be due to a fault with a tire out of balance needing rebalanced (most common) or tire worn needing replaced.This may also be a fault with one of the brakes hanging up or brake rotors warped.This can be checked by any shop or dealer including a tire shop to locate and resolve this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete