Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Air lift compressor keeps running after engine turned off.

Customer Question

JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: Just over 70K mi. I've had it in to the local dealer several times for air lift issues. They have fixed 2 leaks in the system and replaced the air compressor and relay at least once. The symptoms previously were the same, air compressor keeps running after shut-off.
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I located the J1 fuse. When I removed it the compressor stopped, but when I replaced it the compressor started running again. Now I have the battery disconnected.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't want the compressor running to burn out again, and I don't want the compressor running to run down the battery...
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I just reconnected the battery after about 10 min. Air lift compressor is still running. Suspension system seems to be at normal "auto" level. Pulled the J1 fuse and parked it in the garage for now.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be due to a fault with a level sensor for the suspension system indicating an incorrect level.This will keep the compressor on as it is trying to level out the vehicle even though it is already leveled out.I have seen these sensors fail before needing replaced.

If these have not been checked into this needs done to see if this is the cause here for sure.If found to be a level sensor at fault the affected sensor will need replaced to resolve this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete