Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Have a 42rle with code p0846 replaced solenoid body no

Customer Question
change will come on after...
have a 42rle with code p0846 replaced solenoid body no change will come on after shifting a few times.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: 2004 just finished rebuild
JA: What is the model of your '04 Jeep?
Customer: wrangler
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes tried another solenoid body have not tried reflashing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i know of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
11/16/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Did you just replace the valvebody or did you also replace the solenoid pack as well? Have you done any testing or did you just replace the valvebody hoping it would correct the P0846? Also what is your VIN number?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1j4fa59s04p719216 just solenoid body went through valvebody

Thanks for the reply!!

If no diagnostic work has been performed then you will need to follow the test I attached to determine the cause.. The most common issue we see if failed solenoid packs so if you have not replaced the solenoid pack then it's most likely bad, but you will be able to determine that when you follow the tests..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ive been through most of that dont have simulator but can watch the 2-4 pressure switch change from open to close on my scanner . on the lift it will shift through all gears unlimited times and no problem take out on road and after 2-3 up and down shifts code come back and limp mode

Bob there are a few cases and a bulletin on the code. I would check the wiring to the TCM from the solenoid pack and then see if you see any moisture. If yes or damaged pins you will need to replace the harness..

Case NumberK78466573

Vehicle IssueMIL Lamp Illumination: DTC P0750, P0760, P0846, P0891 Set In The TCM;Use the DRBIII to determine which diagnostic codes are actively set in the TCM. Utilize the Diagnostic Trans Simulator tool (8333) to test the integrity of the solenoid control circuits. Diagnostic tests may indicate the solenoid pack is defective requiring replacement. Before replacing the solenoid pack, inspect the transmission harness at the solenoid pack for corrosion.

System or ComponentCustomer Concern (No DTCs)

Recommendation Unplugged the transmission main harness at the solenoid pack. Inspect the harness connector and on the solenoid 8-pin connector. Replaced damaged corroded terminals on the main transmission harness. Solenoid pack will require replacement if there's broken or corroded pin terminals. Water intrusion is usually the cause for harness terminals to fail prematurely. Ensure the transmission harness connector is securely fastened to the solenoid pack. A loose connector could allow water to enter.

Modification Date

07/20/04 2:45 PM

Case NumberK42478439

Vehicle IssueMil light is on, transmission related solenoid codes have set.;Vehicle is equipped with a 42RLE transmission. Example of codes that may set. P0750 - LR Solenoid Circuit P0755 - 2-4 or 2C Solenoid Circuit P0760 - OD Solenoid Circuit P0765 - UD Solenoid Circuit P0846 - 2-4 or 2C Pressure Switch Rationality P0871 - OD Pressure Switch Rationality P0841 - LR Pressure Switch Rationality

System or ComponentNo Shift / Will not Shift Up or Down;DTC / Error Message;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light

Recommendation Inspect the transmission solenoid connector for corrosion. Refer to TSB 21-009-05 if moisture or corrosion is found.

Modification Date

08/11/06 4:02 PM

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
well ive seen this tsb and checked harness have done wiggle test while on lift and watching 2-4 pid

Did you ohm the wiring to the TCM to make sure it's around .001 and also wiggle the wire when ohm testing? The code you have means the solenoid pack pressure switches are either open or closed at the wrong time. Did you say you did or did not replace the solenoid pack? Did it come from us(Dealership) or aftermarket?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did replace with a dealership part . and ill test wire now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok tested wire all is good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did line psi test on 2-4 port and it checked out good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
anything?
Brad
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech