Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a 1998 Euro spec 2.5 diesel Grand. Problem cutting

Customer Question
out after 2 sec start...
I have a 1998 Euro spec 2.5 diesel Grand. Problem cutting out after 2 sec start. I know this will happened when all gauges does not respond. But some time the gauges are normal and she will start. Will drive for about 5 min and all gauges frees but she will still run as normal. I have added a separate water temp gauge and a switch to for an external voltage regulator so that my battery can still be charge. This problem just got worse as time went on. Dealer had the car for 2 months and swapped ECU and any other electronic components but problem still there. I must say that I change my transfer case for Wrangler ( not sure but 231) The problem there was a wire connection on the 249 that did not fit on the 231. Left it out, but checked with agent and said this could not be the problem. But the problem started gradual first by flicker and just got worst. Noe I cannot get it to start. The battery runs flat after about a week. Any ideas?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
11/14/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you know if the electronic ignition switch was replaced at all to try and resolve this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, did not replace it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would prefer in writhing as I am not working on the car now. Busy upgrading the Radiator and inter cooler. In South Africa we have a problem with this model as it overheat easy.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will work on this problem when I do the rest.

O.k.,the electronic ignition switch is one component that can act up just like this here with one or more of its contacts not sending a correct signal intermittently.This will cause the gauge issue as well as starting or running issues.Since this was not replaced and with all that has been done here already I would suspect the ignition switch at fault needing replaced.

I would check and make sure all power and grounds are clean and tight at and leading from the battery.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The electronic ignition switch, where will this be located?

This is attached at the back or side of the ignition key cylinder itself as the key cylinder rotates the switch to activate it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete, I will rate you wants I have received the part and installed it. I have ordered it and it will be here next week. Thanks for the advice, you are the first to mentioned this issue.. Regards Pieter

Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out and if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete, I have replace the ignition switch, but the gauge's came up but after about 2 minutes the stop working. All gauge's. Motor still runs. Engine started and did not cut out. Gauge's still not working. It seems that everything not solved. This what it did with the old ignition switch as well. But sometimes it did not start after no gauge's working. I did start it about 5 times and motor kept on running without gauge's. It seems that the cutout stopped, but maybe to soon to make that statement. What else could be the problem?
Regards
Pieter
Pete, Technician