Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

Took to it to jeep specialty shop due to binding clanking

Customer Question

took to it to jeep specialty shop due to binding clanking noise.auburn ected lockers btw..they rebuilt lockers and determined rear axle housings were bent so they put in used housing using original axles.they have since replaced backing plate,all hardware for brakes,wheel cyl but right rear brake drum is so hot you cant touch it after driving only 10 miles
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: 1999 wrangler.only has 40k miles.brakes are new because the seals leaked after they rebuild the lockers brake pads were soaked from oil.
JA: Are you fixing your Wrangler yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no.took it to a different shop after too many trips to the shop that did the lockers.they told me a spring was missing on the hot brake side.they put in in all new hardware on that side but drum is still so hot you cant touch it after just a short drive
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.just hope to figure it out.supposed to take it to moab this weekend but guess ill have to rent one instead
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is***** root issue is the right rear brake drum gets hot after driving a short time. All brake parts have been replaced. It sounds like the right rear shoes are dragging on the drum. I believe the shop that made the repairs has over adjusted the rear shoes on the right side. The drum should be able to turn with slight friction but easily by hand with the wheels off of the rear axle. If that is not the case they need to be properly adjusted.

The parking brake cable may be seized as well, but since this all started after work performed to the brakes I do not see it likely. You can pull and release the parking brake a few times and see if that helps with the drag.

I think the first step is to confirm the brake drag by jacking up the rear axle, using jack stands for safety. Removing the rear wheels with the vehicle in neutral and spinning the affected drum. Compare it to the left side which should be operating normally. It should have some drag but still easily rotated. If you are not making your own repairs I suggest you have the second shop adjust the rear shoes and check the parking brake cables. Let me know if you are satisfied with the answer to your question!