Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

It's not getting a spark, I think it may be the crankshaft

Customer Question

It's not getting a spark, I think it may be the crankshaft positioning sensor but I'm really not sure. Now it's also not turning over though, and I don't think it's related
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: It's not starting at all
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, inline 4.0
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This time I'm trying to fix it myself, and the first thing I tried was replacing the battery. Recently I've done the ignition coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, distributor, and the distributor rotor and cap, but it started after all of those and ran for a good 3-4 months
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope, that's about it. How does this work, is this a free service to ask questions on?
JA: The Jeep mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: How does pricing work? I'd like to know before I sign up for anything
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Are you saying that we have two issues going on here? No crank condition and a crank no spark condition?

I can help with both if you would like. I can provide possible causes and even walk you through this diagnoses.

Can I start by getting your codes in the computer and your VIN number?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HiCustomer Thank you so much. The VIN is 1J4FJ68S6SL648969, and the codes for whatever went wrong got cleared when I replaced the battery unfortunately. And yes, it originally just wasn't getting a spark but now it's not even turning over at all. Also, how does payment work for the rest of this consultation, did the $26 cover everything or was that just a deposit?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! I am sorry but I am not supposed to discuss any payment issue with customers. I can send you customer service contact email if you would like.

Anyway, on your vehicle, we will need to get the engine cranking first before we can diagnose this no start condition. So the no crank issue needs to be address at thi point. Have you checked for power down at the starter with the key in the crank position? Have you checked the starter relay and inputs or would you like some help with that? Do you need a wiring diagram of the starting circuit?

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

I will send some information over for you on on how test your starting circuit.

If you remove the starter relay and check the inputs (on the female terminals), there should be two powers and one ground. The two powers comes from fuse 6 and 7 and from the ignition switch. The ground comes from the park nuetral position switch with the transmission in park or nuetral. Here is a wiring diagram of this circuit.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!