Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Have a short in the electricl system, which i have narrowed

Customer Question
to the power latch relay...
Have a short in the electricl system, which i have narrowed to the power latch relay, would like to know if the relay is bypassed will the engine still start?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 186327 miles, and for the most part starting just fine
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1990 JEEP Cherokee Laredo 4x4
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its my sister's jeep that i am trying to fix for her
JA: What year is your '90 Cherokee?
Customer: 1990, i have performed basic electronic troubleshooting so far to find the issue, including a current check on the battery using a digital multimeter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, good for now
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/8/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your questions so I may help you better.nO IT'S NOT PRACTICAL TO DO THAT UNLESS YOU WANT TO RUN A WIRE DIRECTLY FROM THE IGNITION TO AN EXTERNAL RELAY THEN TO THE STARTER. a RELAY IS AN ELECTRICAL SWITCH WHICH USES A LOW AMPERES CIRCUIT TO CONNECT A HIGH AMPERES CIRCUIT TO A HEAVY DRAW ITEM SO IT CAN OPERATE.Y ou would still have to use a heavy fuse or fuseable link in that circuit as well. Hope this helps you. Is the short in the low side or high side of the relay ? does it blow a fuse? which one?

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician