Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.0D I need to know the procedure

Customer Question
Hi Chris JA: What is the...
Hi Chris
JA: What is the model/year of your Jeep?
Customer: 2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.0D I need to know the procedure to replace the intake manifold actuator motor, VIN 1J8HD48M07Y541690 Thanks Errol
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 182000 Kilometres, Auto transmission
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Sourcing parts from Mopar USA. Dealer in Australia quoted $4000 AUD to do the job which I thought was over the top.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only if I could obtain a workshop manual for the diesel engine.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
10/31/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On this model the turbo needs removed in order to access and replace the actuator.Below is the procedure I show on this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/olv3lxqe3z1u6u0/i-10-31.gif?dl=0

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Remove the engine cover.

3. Drain the coolant.
4. Remove the cowl.
5. Remove the strut tower support (2).
6. Remove the intake air housing and tube

7. Remove the charge air cooler tube (4).
8. Remove the resonator.
9. Remove the EGR tube.

CAUTION: Observe the position of the turbocharger oil passage housing and gasket. Failure to properly position the gasket during assembly will result in immediate turbocharger failure after assembly.

10. Remove the turbocharger (3).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awhzgaoo6fntrsd/in-10-31.gif?dl=0

11. Disconnect the engine harness and position aside.
12. Disconnect the swirl valve actuator connector.
13. Remove the swirl valve actuator (3) clips.
14. Remove the swirl valve actuator.

Turbo removal

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s56wkvq0dhypjyx/t-10-31.gif?dl=0

WARNING: The normal operating temperature of the exhaust system is very high. Never work around or attempt to service any part of the exhaust system until it is cool. Care should be taken when working near the turbocharger. The temperature of the turbocharger rises to a high level after a short period of engine operation time.

NOTE: There is no procedure for repairing the turbocharger. If damage is found during inspection, the turbocharger must be replaced.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Remove the engine trim cover.
3. Remove air intake tube (air cleaner to turbo) (1).
4. Remove engine cover front bracket (2).
5. Remove air tube (turbo to cooler) (3).
6. Remove the turbo heat shield (4).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/03fbc2y025fyps2/tu-10-31.gif?dl=0

7. Remove the elbow to converter exhaust clamp (1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9uqbarbxvvpynvf/tur-10-31.gif?dl=0

8. Remove the turbo front bracket retaining bolts (1).
9. Raise vehicle, remove front splash shield.
10. Drain cooling system.
11. Disconnect the downstream catalytic converter at the extension pipe.
12. Disconnect the extension pipe to muffler.
13. Disconnect O2 sensor wire connector.
14. Reposition extension pipe and catalytic converter.
15. Lower vehicle and disconnect catalytic converter to downstream catalytic converter clamp.
16. Remove upstream catalytic converter.
17. Disconnect transmission fill tube and trim cover bracket and set aside.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cewurnhbeb7t88d/turb-10-31.gif?dl=0

18. Disconnect exhaust elbow at turbo (2).
19. Disconnect EGR tube at manifold to left cylinder head (3).
20. Remove left and right exhaust manifold retaining bolts and gaskets (4).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j2o6i3ciy94km4w/turbo-10-31.gif?dl=0

21. Remove front turbo retaining bolts (1).
22. Remove turbo mount retaining bolts.
23. Remove turbo.
24. Disconnect turbo boost pressure servo connector (2).

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete\

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Customer 182000 Errol Schultz for Vin number 1J8HD48M07Y541690 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Pete gave me a procedure to replace intake manifold actuator motor and referred to item 14 as remove the "swirl valve actuator", is this the same item as the actuator motor?
Could you advise what coolant is required when finished.
Thanks
ErrolYear: 2007
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: OM642DE

I apologize for the delay.I only show a swirl valve actuator myslef here on this model.Is this a different actuator you are referring to here?

Pete, Technician