Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Changing thermostat. upper bolt came off. lower bolt broke.

Customer Question
i tried to heat it...
Changing thermostat. upper bolt came off. lower bolt broke. i tried to heat it and vice grip it. nothing. it eventually broke off flush with the housing. I ended up removing the fan and shroud to get room to work in there. I dont think the thermostat housing comes off on the 2004 jeep grand cherokee limited. 4.7 liter v8...im guessing the steel bolt oxidized on to the aluminum.i need help from people that have been in this situation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/23/2016
Jeep Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. I have had this happen before. I usually weld a nut onto the broken stud and then use a socket to remove the bolt. It often takes several tries until you get a good weld.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but there is nothing left to weld on to.
the stud sticking out is gone.

That is what I mean, when it is flush. You fill the nut with the weld and it welds to the broken stud. The reason his works is because the weld does not stick to the aluminum. Just the steel of the bolt.

I also believe the heat of the welding helps to loosen the bolt as well. I have been through about 20 nuts sometimes doing this. But it pretty much always works.

I hold the nut up to the stud with a pair of long needle nose pliers.

Any luck getting the bolt out? Please rate my assistance if I have helped you out. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck. The weld kept snapping off. Even had a friend try it who is a welder at a muffler shop for a living who does this same thing all day. said the bolt seized itself to the aluminum and it will not move... so i ask this... can i drill it out and nut and bolt it? I like doing things the right way but to take the timing cover off on this jeep. havent done that before.So if i nut and bolt it on the lower thermostat housing bolt hole will that work?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not read in any of my books on taking the timing chain cover off.
the only thing that looks to be keeping the timing chain cover on still is the ac compressor, the tensioner and the harmonic balancer pulley... but like i said... not sure if i should remove the timing cover or drill it out, nut and bolt it and be done with it.....

You could try drilling it. I have yet to have to do that. You will need a good bit because the metal of the bolt might be hard now since it has been heated and cooled a few times. But I would do that next, then take the timing cover off if needed.

THanks for letting me assist you. After rating my assistance the question will remain open for any follow up questions. If you have any more questions please let me know.